No worries guys (and gals) I am still here. In the uk they have a different wall outlet so I have been running on very low battery for the last few days but that is all fixed now. I found an adapter. On top of that because I am in a different country I have a different data plan so basically I have to use to do anything. That is why I am sitting in a McDonald's typing this. This is the only good thing I have ever come out of McDonalds' free wifi. Without anything further ado let me tell you about my time in London so far...
My flight was not that adventurous they had good movies to watch but not enough time to watch them all. Even with the distractions I still managed to grab a few z's. But the really adventure started when I had go pass through customs. I got detained. Yes that's right they had some questions for me (more questions then they normally asked). Before I tell you the story let me say that you dont have to worry I made it through and I will not (hopefully) have anymore problems. The reason that they detained me was they were worried that I will not have enough money and try to get a job, or I am just going there to find a job the trip was a cover. WHICH IS NOT TRUE. I AM HERE TO JUST TRAVEL. (Incase cctv is watching). At this point there are two men asking me questions one is the head guy and the other is (I think) a newer employee. They asked where I was going, what I was going to do and how much money I had (more the better). My vague answers did not satisfy them so they told me that they where going to have to search my bag. I am ok with this, I have nothing to hide. Throughout this whole ordeal I stayed every calm(on the outside) and tried to be as helpful amd open as possible. At one point they even thanked me for it. The two men and I when through my whole bag both my day pack and my backpack. Before we started the search they asked me what I think they might be looking for. I had no idea so I guessed drugs (seemed like a logical guess). I was mostly wrong they where looking for resumes for anything else that looked like I was here to get a job. My Rick Steve's guide book was a big plus on my side. Ones we where one with my bags they asked to see my bank statements to see how much money o had in my accounts. They lead me to a bank machine and I put in my info and they stood far away so they would not see my pin. Because the bulk of my money for this trip was in a different account then one that one of my cards is connected to it looked like I did not have much. This was not good in my favor at all. There was one last thing they had to check before making their final decision to let me in or not. My amazing mother of mine put in my bag, without my knowledge, some notes with dates on when I was suppose to open them. While I waited in a separate room the two men open the notes and read them (sorry mom). They where so blown away with what ever they said that they let me go on to continue my journey.
Thank you mom so much! Somehow ever when you are on a different content you are still able to help me out in a time of need. Thank you so much I truly think without thoes notes my adventure would have been over before it could really get started.
I managed to find my youth hostel with ease even with been shaken up and running on low sleep. I had three roommates. One was a older fellow who was a stand-up comedian. We all just called him The Comedian. Next is Victor, who was from Germany in London on vacation after getting a PhD in material science. He was a cool guy. Last is Leon, was is from England but stay in a hostel during the week because we works in down in fashion.
On my first few day I walked everywhere. And I went a lot of places. Well at least I tried, I got lost a lot (mostly due to the fact that I was looking at my map upside down). With all of thia walking my feet have died. Sorry feet when we get back to the usa you will be treated like kings. I say this because I am only at the beginning on my journey and it will only get worse for them. Throughout my time here I have been to just about every free museum possible. I got to some of Van Gogh's painting at the national gallery, including his sunflowers. They where amazing.
On Thursday nights is when the partying begins in London. It is the start of their weekend. So of course I went out. Originally I was going to go on the pub craw that the hostel was hosting but instead I when with my room mates, Leon and Victor, to meet up with some ladies from Argentina. And we went clubbing. It was a very interesting experience. I had my frist shots and other drinks. I did not get drunk or have a hangover the next day. I would count myself lucky for my first time drinking. Along with it being my first time drink and going to a club/bar we also went to a gay bar. It was kinda strange at frist but I got used to it.
Clubs in there simplest form at large rooms with a bar at one end and deafening music throughout. It is impossible to hear anyone who talks to you, especially if they have a think accent. You basically just nod your head and say yes. If they look at you confused just shrug your shoulders and act like you dont care what happeneds next. We got into two out of the three clubs for free (the gay bar was the one we had to pay at).
My next stop is going to be Brussels in Belgium. I am leaving tomorrow (for me the 16th). I had a great time in London, I would love to come back someday with my family or friends.
I am still a little home sick but that is expected. I know this is thr start of my journey but I can't wait to get home (in a good way). I will try to keep you guys updated more in the future.
Thr frist photo is proof that I got detained. The second is a water color I did.
No comments:
Post a Comment