The city of Florence is beautiful, but that is not what has made this one of my favorite stops on my trip yet, it is the friends I have made. Sorry for the long time without a post, I have haven't had a lot of time of write (so be prepared for a long post).
I spent just about a week in Florence, not because of the sights (which where nice) but because of the people I met. There was two Germans, a a few Americans, a few Canadians, a Chilean (from Chile), and an Aussie (from Australia). I have so many stories to tell I am not sure where to start, these stories might nit be in order, I might start backwards (also to be respectful I am not going to use anyone's real name).
After Florence:
I am on my way to Venice now. Originally I was planning of going there but couldn't find any youth hostels, and if I could they where expensive. Because of this I was going to go to Venezia Italy, it is a small town with some old Olympic stuff. Then there was a train strike (who knew there was train strikes in Italy?). This derailed my plans, so I stayed in Florence a few extra days. (The next story might because about that night). I am happy I stayed, I met some get guys and we went to Pisa and the Cinque Terre. It was great I met then the night before, they where planning on going to I just joined in. (I went with a German, American, and a Canadian who I am still travelling with). It was a great spontaneous trip. Our train to the Cinque Terre stopped off in Pisa, so we decided to spend an hour there and grab the sterotipcal phone of the leaning tower (photo at bottom). Afterwards we were off to Manarola in the Cinque Terre. We did a small hike and saw some great sights, I got a few good sketch out of it that I am doing water colors of. For dinner we had some pizza in a small hole-in-the-wall place, maybe the best pizza I have had in Italy so far. On the day trip I completed one of my accident goals (goals thay can only be completed in an accidental surcumstance), we had to run for our train. I know it doesn't sound that exciting, and it maybe wasn't, but in my mind that is one thing that if you don't do your European trip is nt complete. (I hope that made sense, if not I am just weird, which is still true anyways). The Canadian and I are now on our way to Venice. He is only staying for one night, I think I might stay for a few more, we will see.
Strike night:
This was the best night I had in Florence. (Not to say all the other nights were bad that just this one was very unexpected and lots of luck was had so it wins only by a small amount). The whole day started with me leaving Florence, I checked out from my hostel and stared to walk to the train station. It was sunday so a lot of things where closed. I went to the train station closest to my hostel, a smaller one in the suburbs. I had to buy a reservation for train, but the ticket booth was closed. I didn't think much of it because it was sunday and maybe because it was a smaller station the ticket booth wasn't open on Sundays. So I walked to the main station (only an hours walk). Once there I stared to stand in the extremely long line for the one person at the ticket booth. I was a few people before the window when I over heard (my guess) an American family talking about getting money back. I was confused and curious so I asked why, his answer was that there was a train strike and that moat of the trains where not running. Well that changed all my plans. I quickly left the line, popped on the interwebs (internet), canceled my stay in Venezia, booked a room back at thr hostel I was just at, and then waited. I had a few hours to kill before I could check back into the hostel. I went to a small plaza and did some water colors of it (possible photo at bottom). Little known fact, water colors to not do so well in the rain, they are much harder to deal with. It started to rain so I had to stop sitting in 10th plaza and find a place inside to finish my painting. I walked the hour walk back to my hostel. I have done that walk about 6 times (my poor feet). Back at the hostle I happen to meet a fellow American who was studying abroad in Paris and was in Florence for a few days on spring break. We went out to dinner thst night together. Our night started by walking to town, we did not go my normal way by through the suburban neborhoods. This was a great idea. We stumbled across a block party (I think it was for Palm sunday). It was fun, we tried some small pastries, had amazing gelato, and listen to some music. Did you know that YMCA is a universal song? It is playing at any and every party. By the time we made it to down the sun was settin, it was an absolutely breathtaking (attempted water color with be shown at a later date). To eat we whent restaurant hopping (well only two restaurants). I tried a few new things (sorry can't remember the names now). It was all delicious. To get home we caught the last but of the night. Over all it was a great night.
First Florence friend:
Thank you to my new German friend. I had a great time hanging out with you. Thank you for putting up with me for 5 days. I hope to see you again soon. I had a lot of fun walking around the city with you and you explaining what things were.
The pictures are of my trip to pisa (the tower in the background might have given that away), and of some espresso I share with my German friend in a tiny plaza. (Waste color pictures will be coming later, they are not done yet).
No comments:
Post a Comment